Life's adventures

The daily adventures-whether you think so or not-of life

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas

I am a child of God, a wife, a mother of three, a preschool teacher, an encourager and a persuader. My husband and I are church planters in the Northwest Houston Area.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Pyromaniac

Well there are those things that you think will never happen in your home and it happened at me today! My son, Christian (10), decided that after watching Jesse James burn something on Monster Garage that he could do that too. So while I was talking to my hubby, he lit some paper, let it burn, blew it out, and stuffed it in the trash can.

I come out of my room and smell something that has been burnt. So of course I freak out! I ask my 3 kids about it and this is how it goes:

ME
Who was burning something?
Kids
Not ME!!!!!
Micah(5)
It was HIM!!!
as he points to Christian
Christian
No I didn't!!!!
Me
Come here!
imagine me pointing my "Mom"finger and giving the "death look"
I stomp back down the hall with Christian glumly following behind
ME
OK, smell that?I know that someone was burning something...want to revise your story?!
AS we stop at the door to his room where the burning smell is still scary strong.
Christian
I lit the lighter.
reluctantly spoken
ME
Oh no, there's more to it!!!
by now I think the smoke is coming out of my ears
Christian
I lit a piece of paper
eyes downcast- shoulders hunched
Me
WHAT?!! What did you do with the paper?!
I'm sure I'm losing my mind at this crazy turn of events
Christian
I put it in the trash in the kitchen.
at this point I run down the hall, knowing that I am going to find the trashcan blazing
ME
Did you wet it down before you stuck it in there?
Christian
No, I just pushed it all the way to the bottom
ME
OK, let me get this straight, while I was in the bedroom talking with your dad you lit a piece of paper in your bedroom, took it all the way through the house, stuffed it in the kitchen trash where it could smolder and catch fire and spread through the whole kitchen possibly burning down the whole house?!!!!!!!!!!
I think my head spun around a couple of times while I said all of this
Christian
Yes.
completely demoralized
My HUSBAND
Where did you get this idea?
Christian
Monster Garage... that guy that burned stuff(Jesse James)
this is a show that he watched with dad
Needless to say this incident ended with strong discipline and I am planning a trip to visit a fireman friend who will show him the danger of fire that is improperly handled. I am also beginning to get leary about the whole puberty/testosterone/preteen thing. Lots of prayers would be good.
I hope this gives everyone a good, "Thank God, that' not my kid!"
In Christian's defense, he is an awesome kid who is amazingly smart, and very creative. I love him even when he is plotting our family bonfire.

1 Comments:

Blogger Melodee said...

That could have been me and my boys. Thank God your house didn't burn down!

4/01/2005 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home